Wednesday, December 13, 2017

2017/12/13

So today I'm writing on politics, hopefully in an area not too controversial. There is an idea/app that I saw mentioned some years ago and have re-visited recently, democracyOS. I find this more interesting from a policy perspective than I do from a technological one, for this reason: the ratio of congressional representatives to the constituents they represent has become far out of balance from its original value. I think the original ratio was 30,000 to 1, and it has now grown to approach 1,000,000 to 1. That means each individual is getting 30 x less representation. Is it any wonder why congress only listens to the most vocal? I appreciate what the difficulties of organizing 30 x more congressional representatives, and managing that number of people would have been untenable even in the recent past, but we could change this with the technology available today. There is really no need for representatives to physically gather in D.C. Keep then home and available to the people they represent. I don't think managing 10,000 people voting on things is really that big a deal now.

No comments: